Moving Day….

Home Forums Techozoic Moving Day….

This topic contains 9 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  BartC 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
September 19, 2012 at 8:20 pm #2324


Well, in no longer…!

It is a long story, but not one for a public forum.

I need to move the entire contents to a new domain. I have successfully pointed the actual server to the new domain:

and have done a forward from the old domain to the new domain.

So as I await for all the dns to update, does anyone have any tips and tricks about what needs to be done on the site with WP or Techozoic to make it all work.

For example:
The pictures imbedded in articles are just links. Do I have to re-edit all those links?
Some articles have links to other pages on the site. Do I have to re-edit all those?


September 19, 2012 at 9:43 pm #2325


Well, after all that… I can’t even log on to the site through the WP frontend.

I can ftp to it but I have not a clue has to what file/s to edit to get the site to function.

The site comes up but not all the content or style is there. It seems like certian things are pointing to the old domain, and I don’t know what to change to fix it.


September 19, 2012 at 11:32 pm #2326


So I was able to edit the wp-config.php file and added to the top just after


Then I was able to log on directly by pointing my browser directly to:


I then went to the dashboard and under General Settings I was able to confirm that
WordPress Address (URL)
Site Address (URL)
were correct.

BUT, it still is not working correctly… don't know where to go next

Also just to avoid other issues I turn OFF cache.

Some of the style is back but no content.

If I look at the media tab or the post tab in dashboard I can see the content so I think it is connecting to the db OK, but none of it shows up on published pages.


September 19, 2012 at 11:59 pm #2327


My next step:
I went into the data base and edited:
wp_options using the phpMyAdmin

I corrected all instances where the URL was wrong, but nothing really changed except some plug in stuff and footer notes.

not sure where to go next…

September 20, 2012 at 12:04 am #2328


I wonder if I should run this script …. and I’m not sure from which directory to run it from:

sounds like just what the problem might be.


September 20, 2012 at 11:54 am #2331


considering running this SQL cmd on wp-posts

UPDATE wp_posts SET post_content=(REPLACE (post_content, ‘{old url}’,'{new url}’));

anybody with any ideas…


September 22, 2012 at 4:32 pm #2334


ALL FIXED… thanks to Jeremy…

I was too chicken to run that UPDATE script (listed above). Jeremy, however, knew how to run it and on what tables, and what fields. This fixed the new site so WP could publish the content. I only had to fix some widgets that contained hard coded links to some graphics. Seems all is well in the world thanks to Jeremy.


September 25, 2012 at 12:49 am #2337


It has come to my attention that I might be able to salvage some google page rankings from the old domain and transfer them to the new domain by using a 310 redirect at the old domain. The hosting company has provided a 401 redirect, but it seems that a 301 might be better google wise.

It seems the content should be:

[code title=""] [/code]

But the question is: what file does this go in…





somewhere else.

I’ll check tomorrow with the host co. and see what they have… online there is no automatic 301 feature.


September 25, 2012 at 12:50 am #2338


Yikes… could not get the code tags to work… trying again with quote tags.

September 25, 2012 at 12:52 am #2339


One last time … manually entered this time:

[code title="301"]


Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.